Sunday, March 23, 2008

Prescriptions for Sure Misery

I'm on spring break now, which means I have some extra time for my leisure reading. So, I finished the first book on my list, which was Poor Charlie's Almanack. It was a terrific book which offers you ages of experience and knowledge. For this Easter holiday, I wanted to share with you the message from one of my favorite speeches, which discusses the prescriptions for sure misery. This idea originated from Johnny Carson, who offered the first three rules:

1. Ingesting chemicals in an effort to alter mood or perception,
2. Envy
3. Resentment

To these, Charlie adds:

4. Be unreliable,
5. Learn only from your own experience
6. Go down and stay down
7. Minimize objectivity

As many of you may know, Charlie is always very big on the process of inversion. So instead of telling you how to be very successful in life, he discusses the surefire ways to be miserable. And if you can just manage to avoid these terrible pitfalls in life, you should turn out fairly happy and successful.

Happy Easter

No comments: